Preventive actions are essential in keeping an attractive and healthy smile in terms of oral health. Dental sealants are the latest advances offered in our dental clinic in Winnipeg that have shown to be an effective solution. Particularly in the susceptible areas of molars and premolars, they serve as an extra layer of protection against the development of cavities and dental decay.
What are Dental Sealants?
Dental sealants are thin, plastic-based protective coverings. They are used to coat the chewing surfaces of the molars and premolars in the rear teeth, aiding in preventing cavities. These surfaces are especially vulnerable to cavities because they have deep grooves and pits that can trap food particles and bacteria and make it difficult to properly clean them with just brushing and flossing.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
Dental sealants’ primary goal is to prevent cavities. Sealants minimize the possibility of food particles and bacteria getting stuck and causing decay by sealing the deep grooves and pits in the teeth. This smooth, easier-to-clean surface is also provided by sealants.
The cost of getting dental sealants is considerably less than the expense of repairing cavities and other tooth conditions. You can prevent future expensive dental work with a little investment in sealants.
Dental sealants can be applied without discomfort or need for surgery. It doesn’t need drilling or anesthetic, making it a great alternative for kids and adults who are afraid of the dentist.
With good oral care and routine dental exams, dental sealants can endure for several years. During this time frame, they continuously safeguard against cavities.
Improved Oral Health
Dental sealants help to enhance oral health generally by avoiding cavities. They assist with preserving healthy gums and teeth, which are necessary for effective chewing and communication.
The Dental Sealant Procedure
Dental sealants are easily, painlessly, and non-invasively applied at a dental clinic near you. Here is a detailed explanation:
- Cleaning: The teeth that will get sealants will first undergo a thorough cleaning by the dentist. This procedure makes sure that there are no food particles, germs, or plaque clinging to the sealant.
- Drying: To ensure that the sealant material adheres properly, the teeth are subsequently dried and sealed off from saliva.
- Application: The chewing surfaces of the teeth will have an acidic gel applied by the dentist. This gel gives the teeth a rough texture that enhances the bonding of the sealant.
- Rinsing and Drying: The acidic gel gets rinsed after a brief interval, and the teeth are dried again.
- Sealant Application: The teeth’s pits and grooves are coated with dental sealant material. Normally liquid, this material quickly solidifies and creates a barrier.
- Curing: In certain situations, the sealant may be hardened and cured using a specific light to ensure its endurance.
Caring for Dental Sealants
Dental sealants are easy to maintain and don’t need any additional maintenance. To preserve the durability of the sealants, frequent oral hygiene procedures including brushing, flossing, and dental checkups are necessary
Who Should Get Dental Sealants?
Although dental sealants near you are advantageous for everyone, they are especially advised for kids and teens as soon as their permanent teeth emerge. A common age range for this is between 6 and 12. Sealants can also help adults who have teeth with deep cavities.
Schedule a Session Today!
Are you prepared to take proactive steps to improve your smile? Make an appointment with Smiles On Portage today for an extensive placement and consultation of dental sealants. With the help of effective preventative measures, our knowledgeable team is dedicated to improving your dental health. Don’t pass up the opportunity to have our advanced dental sealants in Winnipeg to safeguard your teeth from decay and cavities.
Make an appointment right away to get a healthier smile!